Consecrated to the Heart of the Redeemer under the patronage of the Theotokos and Fr. Gerard Manley Hopkins, S.J.

10 September 2012

THIS is the Real Thing

Thanks to a reader for this link, "The Chalice, the Pepsi Can, and Sexuality."

(I forgot that I can embed the video:)


"Nobody will choose their proper vocation if they do not see themselves as sacred."
"What do You want of me, if this is how You created me?"

This realization of self as precious-because-made-in-God's-image was not fully present in me when I was ordained, nor was it fully present when I applied to the seminary.  It remains an area for continued growth.

Underlying one will find a tendency to extreme thinking: "If I do not accept this proposition 100%, I am not accepting it at all, and therefore am unfit for a vocation."  A rather high bar to set for my oneself, don't you think?

How many current spouses (that's a vocation, yo) can say that they had accepted themselves as God's Image by the time they got to the altar?

How many people's struggles in this regard manifest themselves as so many different attachments: alcohol, food, sex, spending, work, _______?

How many persons find a way to the altar (as spouses, religious, or priests) with some sort of attachment?  Perhaps they deny it, or are not yet able to see it; perhaps their spouse is in the same position--either seeing or ignoring--yet chooses them anyhow!

Faith is saying, "I can't see it, but You claim to have created me in Your Image, to have thought enough of me to suffer and die for me; so, OK.  Have it Your Way" and then Faith is living with that acceptance in the forefront--wherever it takes you.

A life of faith is an effervescent life.




1 comment:

  1. Colleen, I am equally grateful to hear your story. It never surprises that the act of faith in the Catholic Church so often enables people to achieve their full human potential. Never without challenges or rewards!

    ReplyDelete